Bodies of Christians executed by ISIS in 2015 recovered at Sirte

Authorities in Libya have recovered the bodies of 21 Christians who the Islamic State murdered in February 2015 and have sent them to a mortuary to be identified, the investigation bureau of Misrata's Crime Prevention Department has announced.

(REUTERS / Social Media via Reuters TV)Men in orange jumpsuits purported to be Egyptian Christians held captive by the Islamic State kneel in front of armed men along a beach said to be near Tripoli, in this still image from an undated video made available on social media on February 15, 2015.

The Attorney General's office confirmed the Crime Prevention Department's announcement about the recovery of the bodies of the 21 Christians executed by ISIS. The bureau said the bodies were clad in the orange outfits seen in the beheading video, and all their heads were severed, Libya Herald relayed.

The announcement came just a week after Sadiq al-Sour, the head of investigations at the office of the Attorney General, revealed that an ISIS member had disclosed the location of the bodies. Of the 21 murdered men, 20 were Egyptians and 13 were from the Al-Our village in Minya. The remaining victim was believed to be from Ghana.

Last month, around five ISIS fighters were killed in U.S. airstrikes while attempting to retrieve weapons in Libya. The two strikes targeted militants located 100 miles southeast of the city of Sirte, CBS News reported.

It is believed that hundreds of ISIS fighters fled Sirte after they were defeated by pro-government militias last year and hid in the country's inner territories. It was also revealed that authorities have detained a man suspected to have been one of the militants who beheaded the 21 Coptic Christians in Libya two years ago.

Al-Sour also told members of the media that the execution of the victims happened behind a seaside hotel in the coastal town of Sirte. He added that they already know the names of those involved in the beheading.

In addition, al-Sour said militants who were part of the Benghazi attack in 2012 have also been arrested, but he did not disclose any other details. He shared there were already at least 800 arrest warrants issued for suspected ISIS fighters who took part in a spate of attacks in Libya.