Church of Scientology behind sexual assault allegations against Paul Haggis, says Leah Remini

The Church of Scientology is the one that orchestrated the sexual assault allegations against Oscar-winning screenwriter and producer Paul Haggis, according to "Scientology and the Aftermath" co-hosts Leah Remini and Mike Rinder.

(REUTERS / Fred Prouser)Actress Leah Remini speaks at a panel discussion during the Television Critics Association Summer press tour in Beverly Hills, California, in this file picture taken July 27, 2012.

In an open letter shared on Jan. 15, Remini and Rinder said they believe the Church of Scientology was the one that funded the sexual assault allegations of four women against Haggis. The co-hosts of the A&E show and the embattled producer are all prominent former Scientologists who have now opened up about the practices of the controversial organization, The Daily Mail noted.

Haleigh Breest, a publicist, filed a civil lawsuit against Haggis last month accusing him of rape. The three other accusers have chosen to stay anonymous.

"We expect the next 'revelations' about Paul Haggis in this campaign to destroy him to be based on information culled from his scientology files in the form of more 'anonymous' accusers, hiding behind a lawyer who will never have to disclose who is paying their bill," Remini and Rinder said in their letter.

In addition, the two hosts said Scientologists are pressured into sharing the smallest details of their lives. The church allegedly uses this information against anyone who leaves the organization or speaks out against it.

"With the name of everyone one might have thought of, flirted with or taken on a date, it takes little imagination to conjure a string of accusers being contacted and suddenly appearing out of the woodwork," the letter added.

Haggis has since denied the sexual misconduct claims against him. He had also responded to Breest's complaint with a civil lawsuit alleging that she tried to extort $9 million from him in exchange for not pursuing the case against him.

Meanwhile, Haggis' ex-wife Deborah Rennard asked Deadline exclusively to publish her narrative defending her former husband against the sexual assault allegations. She explained that she could not just stay quiet and not speak up for the man who has stood up for other people many times.

Rennard, who was married to Haggis for 12 years and was also a former Scientologist, echoed her ex-husband's story about Breest's alleged extortion attempt. She added that Haggis had just undergone serious back surgery at the time that the alleged incident happened in 2013 and had been in "no physical condition to restrain a young woman against her will."

Moreover, Rennard refuted the claim of an anonymous female publicist that Haggis had raped her in 1996. Rennard said she had been with him in his office at the time and even had the adjacent office, and there had been no publicist working there at that point.