A family that lost nine members in a recent Texas church shooting has filed wrongful death claims against the U.S. Air Force on Nov. 28, saying the deaths of their loved ones were caused partly by the latter's failure to report the shooter's previous criminal convictions.
Joe and Claryce Holcombe lost their son Bryan and eight other family members when Devin Patrick Kelley stormed a church in Sutherland Springs and opened fire at the congregation. According to their claims, the nine deaths were partly caused by the US. Department of Defense and the Air Force's institutional failures, KSAT detailed.
"We want to discipline the Air Force so that something like this is not going to happen again," said Joe Holcombe. "They goofed. They really goofed. They let info that should have been turned over to the authorities, they let it drop, and this guy was able to buy a gun and use it."
The Holocombe family's attorney, Rob Ammons, announced the news but did not reveal how much in compensation his clients were expecting. For now, he said the goal was to prevent servicemen convicted of violent crimes from getting access to guns.
The Air Force, on the other hand, released a statement on Tuesday that attributed the failures to "training and compliance measures." It added that corrective actions have already been implemented to prevent similar lapses in the future.
The rising frequency of mass shootings has prompted increased interest in active shooter trainings across the country, according to security experts and self-defense companies. Sgt. Joe Guerrier of the Hamilton Township Police Department in South Jersey said they had already conducted around 30 classes in malls, churches, and other establishments since 2014, Philly Voice reported.
The FBI and other law enforcement agencies generally advise people to run or hide if possible when confronted by an active shooter. They also said that one must know how to fight if the need arises.